The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) announced on Monday, October 26, 2015, that three Philippine airports made it to the list of the 30 best airports in Asia listed by SleepingInAirports.net.
Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) landed at 18th place, Iloilo Airport ranked 21st, and Clark International Airport at 24th place.
MCIA has been getting recognition for its vastly improved services and facilities after evident upgrades were implemented by GMR-Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation (GMCAC). These improvements were:
- Replacement of worn-out interiors such as counters, lighting, and ceiling boards
- Reconfiguration of the check-in lobby and waiting areas to free up more space
- Improved resort airport theme design, with abundant plant arrangement interiors
- Provision of new seats and furniture for added comfort
- Upgrading security procedures to lessen passenger queuing
- Construction of a greeter’s area
- Installation of new equipment, such as self-service check-in kiosks
“This is just the beginning of our airport modernization efforts. The coming years will certainly be exciting as world-class terminals will rise in Mactan-Cebu and Clark; a new international airport will be opened in Panglao and a vastly-improved airport will be launched in Puerto Princesa; and the Davao, Iloilo, Bacolod, and Laguindingan airports will be expanded and their operations upgraded,” DOTC Secretary Jun Abaya said.